Eco Friendly BBQ Cleaner Recipe
Grease and carbon buildup may be a real pain to remove when it comes time to clean your grill or smoker. While buying a concentrated BBQ cleaning solution at the supermarket may seem like a good idea, resist the urge.
However, you can clean just as well (if not better) with DIY BBQ cleaners while also avoiding the use of toxic chemicals. When you’re ready to prepare your premium cuts of meat, the last thing you want is a chemical aftertaste or odour.
Using items you presumably already have around the house, we’ll go through several effective DIY grill cleaning alternatives in this post. You’ll also learn how to create your at-home grill cleaner.
Table of Contents
Baking Soda As BBQ Cleaner
Here are four quick and easy methods to clean your barbecue with baking soda.
Baking soda and aluminum foil
- In a small bowl, combine 1 1/2 cups baking soda with 12 cups of water to make a paste. A thick liquid consistency that adheres to the grill grate is ideal for this marinade.
- Apply the baking soda paste to the grill grates with a brush or sponge and let rest for several minutes.
- A large piece of aluminum foil should be torn off and crumpled into a ball (approximately 2-3 feet long).
- Make an aluminum foil ball. Next, use it to scrub baking soda-coated grate wires all over the grill.
- Return the grate to the grill after rinsing it with water.
Baking soda and a scrubbing sponge
This technique works well with porcelain or enamel barbecue grates. Scrubbing grill grates with a wire brush or aluminum foil may damage the finish, so a scouring sponge or nylon bristle brush is preferable. Never fear; baking soda will help dissolve and abrade the charred pieces of food on your grill grates to keep them sparkling.
- Remove the grill’s stainless steel grate and set it on a table or counter.
- Wet the grill grate before cooking.
- Allow the stainless steel grates to rest for 10 minutes after generously sprinkling them with baking soda.
- Scrub the grate up and down each wire with a wet scouring sponge.
- Return the grate to the grill after rinsing with water.
Removing cast iron grill grates
Cast iron grill grates are long-lasting and distribute heat evenly, although they are prone to rust when not properly cared for. In the event that you open your grill and discover rusted cast iron grates, do not be disheartened. Even if your cast iron grates are difficult to remove, use baking soda as a degreaser in order to keep your grill clean.
- Mix 1 1/2 cups baking soda, 1/4 cup dish soap, and 1/4 cup white vinegar in a small basin to form a paste. Use this mixture to remove the stain. If you want it to cling to the grill grates, make it foamy and liquid-like.
- Paint the grill grates with the paste, being careful not to get any on the heating components if using a gas barbecue. Use a brush to do this. Put a stop to it. Please take note not to light the grill.
- Allow the paste to rest for at least 8 to 12 hours, preferably overnight.
- Remove the loose dirt and filth using a nylon-bristled brush or scouring sponge.
- To remove any residual residue, dampen a sponge with warm water and wash it off.
- To preserve the grates from moisture once the rust has been removed, apply a large quantity of vegetable oil to them and massage it in.
- After applying the oil, you may set the grill on high to help seal in the flavor and get it ready for your next BBQ.
Simple cleaning with baking soda and vinegar
If your grill is very filthy, soak the grimy grates overnight in baking soda and white vinegar to remove any tenacious oil or grime that won’t come off easily.
If you can’t scrub the grates straight away, try this technique to thoroughly clean them before grilling season or after a picnic.
- Remove the grates from the grill after they’ve cooled fully.
- White vinegar and baking soda are combined in a large trash bag (large enough to contain all the grates). Immediately, the mixture will begin to bubble and fizz.
- Seal the garbage bag with a rubber band or knotted thread once you’ve collected all the grate waste. In a cool, out-of-the-way location (like your garage), leave the bag with the grates and the solution for 8-12 hours or overnight to work.
- To clean, remove the grate from the bag and run it under running water or in the sink to remove any remaining food debris. The dirt should, for the most part, fall off the grate. After soaking, it will be simpler and less difficult to remove any remaining residue using an aluminum foil ball or sponge.
- Seal the trash bag and throw away the contents as well as any leftover solution.
- Return your grill’s grates to their original positions.
Alternatively, you can clean your grills using these common household items.
Cleaning Tools For Your BBQ Grill
Some of these instruments may already be in your possession. To make cleaning your grill a little bit simpler, consider investing in these items.
A wire grill brush
Use your homemade grill cleaning to remove any stubborn residue that remained after cooking, or use it as a fast brush to remove any lingering food odours. After using a wire brush, be careful to wipe the grate clean. If you want to avoid leaving any bristles on your burger, use a brand-new, high-quality brush.
Stainless steel tongs
To clean the grates, use tongs. This tool is useful if your grill is still hot during cleaning. Even with gloves on, you don’t want to touch the hot surface. The tongs will help you reach the back of the grill. A grill fork may be used as tongs while cleaning with lemons or onions.
Use a flexible yet strong putty knife to remove tough residue from surfaces. Use this scraper to clean your grill’s racks, trays, and inside.
Use this tool, which you may already have incorporated into your grill brush, to scrape the grate after cooking. It may also be used for a more thorough clean. Shake off residue into the trash between scrapes and move in the direction of your grate.
Sponge, cloth, or rags
Use a sponge, towel, or rags to wipe down your grill grates after cleaning them using one of the simple techniques mentioned above. To clean up the loosened residue, use a soft, non-abrasive cloth or sponge.
Heat-resistant gloves are a must if you’re dealing with a hot grill. Even if you use tongs or other equipment to handle cleaning cloths, you will still be too hot. You shouldn’t pick up a hot object without protective gloves since you don’t want grill marks on your hands.
Latex rubber gloves protect your hands from dirt and cleaning solutions while working with dirty surfaces, so you don’t have to. Cleaning oil off your hands is far more difficult and time-consuming than washing it off the gloves or tossing them.
To get a gleaming grill, use these cleaning products with kitchenware. Also, remember to maintain these tools spotlessly. If you’re using filthy scrapers, brushes, and rags, you won’t get much cleaning done.
Cleaning Tips For Your BBQ Grill
A well-maintained grill is a reliable kitchen tool that also produces delectable results. You should know a few basic grill cleaning guidelines before you start looking for cleaning supplies for your barbecue in the kitchen.
If you want to learn how to clean a grill on your own, you’ve come to the correct spot. Here are some suggestions you can refer to get you started.
Clean the grates while still warm
You’ll notice that the grates become dirty the first few times you use your Grill. When wiping, scraping, or scrubbing away debris, use warm water. Use nonflammable grill cleaning products and use protective gloves while cleaning the grill.
Use quick clean-ups in between deep cleans
It’s not necessary to spend generous amounts of time cleaning your grill each time. Spend ten minutes cleaning your grill after you’ve finished cooking. At least half of the spatter and debris can be cleaned up right away.
Prevent grime from building up on your grill
There are a few methods for preventing dirt from getting into the crevices of your barbecue. You may use aluminum foil to cover any exposed areas. Use a grill pan or basket as an alternative. You may also prevent sticking and burning by brushing some cooking oil on the grates before you start grilling.
Use tools to prevent grill scratches
You’ll need a few simple grill cleaning equipment, whether you’re doing a quick clean or a thorough one. Make sure they won’t damage your grill’s appearance or functionality before using them.
Soft sponges and wooden scrapers are favourites. Plastic cooking utensils are okay if your grill is completely cold before using them. Grates may be cleaned more effectively using rougher scrubbing equipment, such as a high-quality grill brush.
Suggested Grill Maker Cleaning Solutions
Cleaning instructions may be found in most grill manuals. For the most part, the cleansers recommended here are mild, including dish soap and water. You may, however, create your homemade grill cleaners. Try, for example, combining equal parts vinegar and water.
Use a spray bottle to apply the solution to your racks and grate surfaces. Allow your degreaser to work for ten minutes before moving on. Apply additional vinegar mixture to an aluminum foil-folded square and massage the grates with it.
Remove the foil and discard it after wiping them clean. Because vinegar is inherently harmless, there’s no need to wash anything off after using it.
How Often Should You Clean Your BBQ Grills?
There are two methods for cleaning a barbecue. To begin, clean the grill’s surface well before using it for cooking anything. It all comes down to cleaning the grill grate because that’s where germs will first come into touch with your food. This project shouldn’t be too tough if you have the right tools.
A thorough cleaning procedure follows that. The question of whether or not you must clean your grill on a regular basis is controversial, but the majority of experts believe that it is. After that, cleaning and maintaining it should be a breeze! Perform more thorough cleanings on your grill throughout the year if you use it often to keep it in peak condition.
A Safe And Clean BBQ For Your Family
It is a lot less work to know your barbeque grill is clean enough to use for dinner. The time you spend grilling with your family should be spent together as a family. It’s crucial to maintain a clean home for the sake of your family’s health and well-being. You may have a great time with a clean and safe barbeque grill by following the guidelines provided here.